A Holistic Approach to Skin Type
Most of us have heard of the typical skin categories, like normal, dry, sensitive, combination, and oily. Certified holistic nutritionist, Tara Loop of Skin Food by Tara came up with her own skin category system that takes a more holistic approach, accounting for other factors, such as nutrition, environment, lifestyle, etc. If you're interested to find out your skin category, follow the link below!
“In my practice, I use face mapping to identify and support 4 skin categories – Environmental, Hormonal, Digestive, and Well. This is to help simplify figuring out where to start and how to inform your food, skincare, lifestyle, and self-care decisions. In summary, these are the four skin categories:
- Environmental: commonly tied to rosacea, eczema, and dry itchy skin. This could be people who get a lot of sun or live in areas with a lot of pollution or pollen. I try to find ways to build your skin’s protective barrier from the inside out.
- Recommended diet: anti-inflammatory foods
2. Hormonal: tied to hormonal issues, PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome), endometriosis, heavy breakouts, mood swings. For this category, I’ll work with you to balance your day-to-day life.
- Recommended diet: foods that balance blood sugar
3. Digestive: categorizes an imbalance in the gut, characterized by stomach issues such as bloating, constipation, and sensitivities to certain foods. This category goes hand in hand with the others because I believe health starts in the gut.
- Recommended diet: probiotic-rich foods and food combining principles
4. Well-Balanced: category of people who feel pretty great or maybe want to fix things here and there, from skin concerns to sometimes eating unhealthily. It’s not necessarily perfect, glowing skin, it’s more of an emotional state. They know how to come back to themselves. If they’re seeing a lot of symptoms on the skin, they know how to course correct and come back - that’s the essential goal for the well balanced."
Link to Skin Category Quiz: https://www.skinfoodbytara.com/quiz
Photo curtesy of Skin Food by Tara